GSIS and Ma On Shan

It does seem unclear on the school's motives of the survey. It is probably a way for them to pull out and not look so bad from it? ie. the parents said they don't want to (with proof), not the school who wants to pull out...

Honesly I do not think they can or have secured enough funding for the redevelopment. Given the environment, no one will have time for this, including those corporations who have agreed to sponsor originally.

My daughter goes to Peak school. I know a lot of parents are really stressed out about the move. Why should you if the school doesn't care about the parents? Don't know what you guys think about ESF but Peak School is great. I know nothing about GSIS so I can't compare. We have been very happy with the school so far.





NvMom thank you for your questions re the survey.

The survey is being undetaken by the school and in my opinion the school is missing the point that parents are trying to raise.

Parents are not against the redevelopment of the school. We all want the school to grow and prosper but do not think that moving the elementary school to Ma On Shan is the right solution.
When looking at the survey it does seem to be slanted in such a way as to be slightly alarmist. It makes it seem as if without the move to Ma On Shan the school will have to cut classes, restrict extra curricular acivities and in general fall apart.

However I am not convinced that this would be the case in that the school has produced excellent results with its present configuration and in the current environment it may be prudent for the school to hold back and reassess.

But to answer your question directly I am not sure of the point of the survey or how it will influence the schools decision. The reason that I say this is that when I contacted the school in respect to the survey I was politely reminded that irrespective of the results the board would have the final say.
 
NVmom thank you for your reply.

I agree the Peak School is very good and it brings back many fond memories of when I attended it as a child. Sadly we are not in the catchment area for our family to be able to attend the school or else my daughter would already be there especially since I hear there are places available.

You asked why I care about the parents if the school doesnt?

I care about the parents because I see the way that my daughter speaks about her experiences at the school and the passion and joy that she expresses about learning. The way that the parents and teachers have created a community that they can be proud of. A place where parents can feel safe in the knowledge that their children are being challenged and exposed to the joy of learning. Every parent and teacher in my opinion should take pride in the knowledge that this is what they have created at the GSIS.

I just want to clarify that my issue is not with the school and its teachers. It is with the board. A board that seems to be unwilling to listen to suggestions put forward by parents. A board that seems unwilling to engage the help of parents to come up with solutions. A board that as explained to me by the school can make final decisons irrespective of what parents think. A board that is blind to the fact that the splitting of the school in the manner that they suggest for four years will probably destroy everything the school is today.
 
Over the last couple of months I have watched with increasing disbelief how GSIS management and boards have tried to force through their decision to relocate the school's primary department to Ma On Shan for a minimum of 4 years.

I agree with genome that the way the members of the boards act is totally unfair towards the parent community. As parents and paying customers, I think we deserve better.

Many promises have been made by the board, but sadly I don't know of any that was finally kept. Further, parent efforts to get their opinions about the MOS relocation plans being heard were either totally ignored (e.g. a letter with more than 50! signatures by German speaking parents arguing against a relocation to Ma On Shan did not even trigger an acknowledgment letter) or actively obstructed. Also: colorful brochures were printed and distributed to all GSIS parents to "inform" about the renovation project. Unfortunately, those pamphlets seemed to promise much more than the school is actually able (willing?) to do (what about the swimming pool e.g.???? ) And finally, the administration of that weird survey a few weeks ago: Why did it have to be so incredibly biased and unfairly worded? (Voting against the relocation of the primary to Ma On Shan meant also to vote against the school renovation. Alternatively, if you did not chose this option, you had two different options to agree with whatever the boards/mgt decided. Strange ... to say the least!).

As much as I (and my children) like the school, the teachers, the curriculum, etc I am getting more and more disappointed with what I see there in terms of how the school's future is being managed. To clarify: I am not a against the IB accreditation process nor am I against renovation of the school facilities. In fact, part of the boards/management's vision is actually quite relevant and I would like to see that realized. But, please ... Why does this have to happen at the expense of 5 to 9 year olds? Who would be willing to send their small children by bus for more than an hour (each way) to school? From HK island it's probably even closer to 80 min. There are so many disadvantages (with respect to the academical, social, and physical development of the children) to this that I don't even want to get started here.

In conclusion, my view is that as long as there is a chance to find better solutions to the "decanting problem" than a relocation to Ma On Shan, the school mgt/boards should try to work on that problem and not call the "case closed", just because they have come across one "option". It's in the interest of the health and development of their youngest students that a more palatable solution can be found. And it's in the interest of the school that its reputation for excellence is not impaired in the process.
 
This all sounded incredibly harsh from the school. When will the final decision be made? What would you do if the school decided to move?

I would focus on the contingency plan rather than continuing the fight with the school board. Obviously they have shown enough insensitivity by doing this at the expense of the youngest group of the children in the school.

They are a very reputable school but would you sacrifice your child's safety for the school?
 
No parent will risk the safety of their child or children for a solution put forward by a school board that is not even willing to listen or to work with parents to come up with an alternative solution.

I think that a lot of people have come up with contingency plans as to what they will do if the board does decide to push this through.With the amount of available places in schools in Hong Kong at the moment I don't think that it will be difficult for English speaking students to find other places.

There are however parents who will not have the opportunity to put together a contingency plan due to the fact that their children are in the German Stream. Parents who have chosen the GSIS because they wanted their children to be educated in German have no other option.

The board should listen to the concerns of the school community and to allow us to work together to come up with a solution. This is as opposed to constantly reminding us that no matter what the community as a whole feels they, the board, will do whatever they want because they and only they know what is best for the school.

The board needs to become part of the GSIS community of which we are all so proud of. As opposed to be so far removed that they have lost touch with the day to day and the families that make up the community.
 
It is nice to see that the board is now taking notice.

"..........the Board will give due consideration to this survey?s results before making a final decision."

I hope that they are transparent with their decision to the community when they make it.

For the second part of the survey the board now acknowledges that it may have been slightly limiting in its form of choice.

" We are also aware that some parents feel that the structure of the survey does not allow them to confirm that they support the development of the school facilities, but not at the cost of moving the Primary Department to Ma On Shan. Let us reassure you that a choice of Option 2 will be understood by the Board in such a way."

This still does not completley give the parents the full choice in that what parents are trying to say is that they want to develop the school and believe that there is a better choice that the temporary 4 year decant to Ma On Shan.

It was just sad to see in the last part that they had to say the following.

"it would be irresponsible to fail to alert parents and staff to the fact that avoiding the inconvenience of decanting the Primary to Ma On Shan will have serious implications regarding the size and future infrastructure of the school"

This type of scaremongering by the board is just not right.

Parents are not seeing the move to Ma On Shan as an inconvenience. They are seeing it as a wrong choice on so many levels and being Inconvenient is not one of them.

Everyone understands that not moving to Ma On Shan is going to have an impact and we are not trying to destroy the future of the school in anyway or else why would we be so passionate about the school and what goes on at the school? We think that there must be options out there that are worthing exploring and are just asking for the opportunity to explore these opportunities with the board and the shcool as one community.
 
genome,

This is good news. There seems to be light at the end of the tunnel. Just talked to a friend of mine whose kid is at FIS. She pointed me to this site.

French International School

Wonder why GSIS wasn't able to find a site like this if they have been looking for years.



It is nice to see that the board is now taking notice.

"..........the Board will give due consideration to this survey?s results before making a final decision."

I hope that they are transparent with their decision to the community when they make it.

For the second part of the survey the board now acknowledges that it may have been slightly limiting in its form of choice.

" We are also aware that some parents feel that the structure of the survey does not allow them to confirm that they support the development of the school facilities, but not at the cost of moving the Primary Department to Ma On Shan. Let us reassure you that a choice of Option 2 will be understood by the Board in such a way."

This still does not completley give the parents the full choice in that what parents are trying to say is that they want to develop the school and believe that there is a better choice that the temporary 4 year decant to Ma On Shan.

It was just sad to see in the last part that they had to say the following.

"it would be irresponsible to fail to alert parents and staff to the fact that avoiding the inconvenience of decanting the Primary to Ma On Shan will have serious implications regarding the size and future infrastructure of the school"

This type of scaremongering by the board is just not right.

Parents are not seeing the move to Ma On Shan as an inconvenience. They are seeing it as a wrong choice on so many levels and being Inconvenient is not one of them.

Everyone understands that not moving to Ma On Shan is going to have an impact and we are not trying to destroy the future of the school in anyway or else why would we be so passionate about the school and what goes on at the school? We think that there must be options out there that are worthing exploring and are just asking for the opportunity to explore these opportunities with the board and the shcool as one community.
 
The school looks fantastic and I am not sure as to why the GSIS board was not able to secure something like this. I am sure they will have the appropriate reasons and excuses as to why it was not suitable though.
 
I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for their input on the subject and hope that there will be others that are willing to voice their opinions in respect to the Ma On Shan move and GSIS.

Genome
 
GSIS survey

Does any one know the outcome of the survey the school conducted in relation to its renovation plans and its proposed move to Ma On Shan?

Friends at GSIS expressed their frustration at the way the survey was worded, not adequately representing the views of the parent community, and bullying parents into accepting the school's proposals in the absence of any other choices offered by the survey.
 

About this archive

This is an archive of over 20 years of GeoBaby and GeoSchools knowledge and discussions, kept online as a read-only reference.

Back
Top