GSIS and Ma On Shan

I agree with parent. There are a lot of schools being shut down as a result of low student population. What the parents should do is to do some research over the course of the next couple of weeks and put together a list of potential schools on HK island that are planned to be closed in the coming years.

This shows that the parent community are supportive of the redevelopment plan and that everyone is working as a team to make this work.
 
Longterm, Courtbas and Parent.

Great suggestions by everyone lets see if we can make this work. There are lots of potential solutions out there and I am sure that if we work in an atmosphere of full disclosure and full information for all we are going to make something work that will suit the future of the school as well as the present. The question though is how do we get everyone to work together as a team and what form of communication should we use to express our ideas? Should there be a large group meeting or individual task forces set up to tackle different aspects of this issue? assigning qualified individuals to each? e.g. architect parents to school planning building use, or banker parents to funding. I am interested to hear peoples suggestions on how we can do this?
 
genome,

That's exactly the problem. Who is to do what? Who is to decide whether a large group meeting or individual task forces is more appropriate? Who is to decide how many tasks forces are going to be set up? Who is to decide what qualification are required to join these tasks forces? What happens if there are disagreements between these "qualified" persons? Any deadline for their reports or conclusions? Will these "qualified" persons really be prepared to commit their time to these works without pay? Do we convene an EGM to seek approval of these "qualified' persons' reports or to resolve every disagreement arise between themselves. It won't work and that's why we have a Board running the school. If we are not happy with the Board, we should aim to have the Board removed and replaced. But what we can't do is to run the school ourselves nor can every decision be made by EGM. We have 1,300 students and twice as many parents. I can't imagine what's going to happen if this large number of parents are going to set up individual task forces and express their own views on the different issues. I am not saying that we can't make any contribution or express our views, but we must do it within the existing framework. I notice that there are committees or sub-committees working under the Board. For all those who like to make contribution, they must try to get into these committees. I have no idea if it is easy to get elected into these committees or not. But these are the rules and we must abide by them.

I have a little suggestion to make. As I see it, there are 3 main issues here. Firstly, parents are not convinced that MOS is the only option. It could be that either the Board is incompetent or it hasn't tried its best to secure a better site. Other than these 2 reasons, I can't think of any other why the Board should deliberately get itself into trouble by opting for MOS in favour of a nearby site. On this point, we can ask the Board to prove to us in detail at the EGM what efforts it has made in securing other sites. If we can come up with a list of possible sites, we can ask them to explain to us why these sites are not available or appropriate. Secondly, why will it take 4 years to do it? Is it a conservative or realistic estimate? Personally I think this is as big a stumbling block as MOS. They must shorten the period as much as possible. Thirdly, if the Board manages to convince the parents that MOS is indeed the only site available within the next few years, what impact will it have on the school if we decide to take a chance and wait for a better site? We want a realistic apprasial of the situation. I don't know if there are other issues that concern the parents, but we must identify all of them and tell the Board what we want them to prove to us at the EGM. All the questions will have to be communicated to the Board well in advance so that they can have the time to get the answers ready. Hopefully, it will narrow the differences between the 2 sides. I agree entirely that all parents should attend the EGM in March because it is a very important decision for the school. At the same time, it is equally important that parents should keep an open mind. If we go to the EGM with antagonising mindset, then we might not be able to consider the facts objectively and make the right decision.
 
happyhour thank you for your reply.

You make very valid points and I am in no way suggesting that the parents take over the running of the school. This would not be feasable on so many levels. You are right the board is the right place for these decision to be made. They have commited to running the school in the best way possible. The situation is however that there is a group of parents who have lost all faith in the boards ability to run the school. There have been so many questions raised on so many different things from financing, to school construction to location of school that just have not been adequetly answered. The board seems to act as if they are above the wishes of the parents and I have heard from other parents that they have received responses like " the board has the final decision" or "irrespective of the outcome the decision lies solely with the board." This does not sit well with parents who after all only have the best wishes of the school at heart and want to be heard.

There have been many presentations by the board and I have been to a few of these and always have more questions than answers when I leave. The answers always seem to very vague and seem to only touch on issues or to gloss over them. As one parent on this forum put if we presented the same way in our working lives there would be questions asked by our superiors. The MOS decision is massive and the consequences of this decision run deep. It would be irresponsabile of us as parents not to get involved.

You are right though there are basic questions that need to be answered and I put it to the board to answer these questions.

1) is MOS the only option and why? because the ED is only giving us this one site is not the right answer. We need to know what other options were contimplated why were they turned down and how long has the school been looking in detail.

2) why is it going to take four years for the rebuild? once again a detailed answer is necessary. Not like one of the answers that was given in one of the presentations " we don't know what the upper building is going to look like when done in that that is the last stage of the project and it will depend on funds"

Only if and when these questions get answered in my opinion can GSIS go back to being one of the best schools in Hong Kong that parents, staff and the board can be proud of.
 
genome,

When is the board meeting in March? What I would like to suggest is for the parents to send all the questions to the board way ahead of time so the board has sufficient time to prepare consolidate the answers. Is the PTA taking the lead on this end?
 
The old victoria site is called the "Wanchai School". It's located at 30 OI KWAN ROAD WANCHAI.

The first ISF site - 373 Queen's Rd Central, Wan Chai(next to the Cosmo Hotel and across from Queen Elizabeth stadium)

The second ISF site - 3 Eastern Hospital Road, Causeway Bay

Hong Kong Directory For Expat - Education > International Schools > The ISF Academy

I don't know whether these sites are still vacant, both worth suggesting it to the board to check it out before the EGM meeting.





Courtbas,

Thanks for the information.

I went into St. Paul Co-educational College's website and found that they are going to redevelop their old site at MacDonnell Road into an extension block for the secondary school. I called Victoria Shanghai Academy and they only told me that they won't have another school in Wan Chai. They don't know what's going to happen to their old site. I can't find any information about the 2 ESF sites mentioned by you. Perhaps some parents might know about them and give us information.

I also read in the Apple Daily Newspaper today that ESF is going to spend HK$640M to redevelop Kowloon Junior School and King George V School. Furthermore, they also intend to either renovate or redevelop Island School. So GSIS might not be the only school looking for school sites and there are others who are just as keen. In fact, I wonder if the Government will give the other schools higher priority because we have already been given the Pokfulam site. I know that Singapore International School has already started to renovate the Wong Chuk Hang site for their secondary school use. The question is whether GSIS will be left behind in terms of facilities etc. if we do nothing. By the way, when we talk about school sites, apart from the location, we must also take into account the size of the existing building and the facilities available etc. Can the building accommodate all our students? What facilities has it got? What is its state and condition? When will it become available? .....
 
I notice that the school did in its website explain why the old ISF Academy site on Queen's Road East is not available.

Q: Has the old ISF Academy site on Queen's Road East been considered?
A: Yes. Before ISF vacated this site, we asked both the Education Bureau and ISF whether the site would be available. ISF referred us to the Education Bureau and this stated clearly that the building was earmarked for a different purpose.


The old victoria site is called the "Wanchai School". It's located at 30 OI KWAN ROAD WANCHAI.

The first ISF site - 373 Queen's Rd Central, Wan Chai(next to the Cosmo Hotel and across from Queen Elizabeth stadium)

The second ISF site - 3 Eastern Hospital Road, Causeway Bay

Hong Kong Directory For Expat - Education > International Schools > The ISF Academy

I don't know whether these sites are still vacant, both worth suggesting it to the board to check it out before the EGM meeting.
 
They should ask again if they think these sites are suitable. I don't know about the Causeway Bay site but the site on 373 Qeen's Road Central is still vacant up to these days after ISF moved away for nearly two years now.

They need to try harder. If the decanting period is 2 years, I am sure the government will make ways. 4 years is really too long.
 
It would be good if the discussion in this forum would be available to all parents as well as the board. Does anyone have the possibility to distribute the link to the parents as well as the board?

Having the board's input in this forum would be very helpful as it may answer a lot of questions.
 

About this archive

This is an archive of over 20 years of GeoBaby and GeoSchools knowledge and discussions, kept online as a read-only reference.

Back
Top