Would you induce before due date?

I was induced on my second pregnancy at 41 weeks. My cervix was not "ripe" and it ended up being a failed induction and an emergency c-section. It was not a very pleasant experience as I had 30 hours of labour before the c-section. I would suggest that you think carefully before making the decision. Sometimes the short term gain is not worth the long term pain!
 
Thanks ladies for all your replies.

I had a very smooth and quick birth when induced the first time round, so I think this did cloud my initial judgement about induction overall. Now after researching more and hearing some of your own experiences, we definitely don't want to add any unnecessary risks to the equation so we've decided to let things happen naturally. I'm sure I can hang in there a couple more weeks, and fingers crossed the little one won't keep us waiting much longer.
 
I've heard and read over and over again that it's much more painful with inductions which are more likely to become c-sections. I guess it's a personal decision, but unless medically indicated, I would leave it up to the baby to decide when she/he wanted to be born :)
 
Inductions are much more painful, back to back contractions (if getting oxytocin) and increase your risk having an epidural, as well as higher rates of cesarean. It really depends on your cervix how easily the induciton will go. If you are not close, they need to use a lot more to get it going and stay going.

I've had 2. 1 at 5 days early because it was thought the baby had IUGR (but he didnt', he was perfectly healthy) and I was no where even close to going on my own, so I had gel twice, oxytocin, morphine/gravol, laughing gas, an epidural, and an epsitomy, artificial rupture of membranes and narrowly escaped a vacuum extraction (because the OB said may as well do it and get it over with, but finally left the room and let my family doctor do her own thing, it was completely unecessary). If I hadn't been induced, he never would have been consulted to begin with. It was 36 hours start to finish, all in hosptial and I regret it. I wish I had insisted on having mroe biophysical profiles and NSt and only done it if there was a sign that the baby was in trouble. I never really did need to be induced to start with as the baby was fine.

The second time I was induced as 10 days over due, I only had cervadil, I could go home after and come back when in labor, so it was short 5 hours and went well, with no other interventions. But I regret it as well because I was starting to have show the day before so likely would have gone into labor in the next day or 2, so really why bother?


Unless there is a CLEAR medical reason I would avoid it and plan to do so with the baby I'm having now. The only thing in your situation that would change things for me, is the idea of having to go through labor all alone without your husband. I can't speak from that perspective. That is a tough spot to be in.
 
I have to add to my previous post, if my husband needed to go away close to the due date, I would totally be induced so that he could be there with me too. One of my friends had a husband in the military and they did that...
 
My husband was not allowed with me at all during my labour. Due to the induction, contractions came on very strong, very quickly and I was taken to the delivery ward very early. He was allowed to wait outside but not allowed in (public hospital POW).

I laboured all through the night with strong contractions every 3 minutes and the next morning I still had not advanced at all (not even one centimetre!). There were issues finding her heart beat and as the chord was wrapped around her neck, the contractions were distressing her so they decided to perform an emergency c-section.

It was also my son's birthday on that day so my husband was in disneyland celebrating our son's 5th birthday when our daughter was born!

Not sure what we will do when he is celebrating his 21st and she is having her 16th birthday!!
 
I know exactly what you mean nicolejoy, I know lots of people who have husbands in the airline industry who have to travel for work and cannot guarantee they will be there. It is about weighing up the risks and making a very personal decision for your own circumstances. I would not have wanted to go through my first labour without my husband there and really don't want to do it this time by myself either. Still thinking about it but will speak again with my obs about the risks. Last time around my waters broke early and although labour had started, it did not progress as fast as my obs thought safe so needed induction drugs. I had an epidural at the same time (I was always intending to have one anyway) as my obs said it was a good idea to put in the induction drugs and epi at the same time. I have heard that there is a higher chance of intervention if you are induced. I needed ventouse with my first baby but he was very big so, according to my obs, ventouse would have been required with or without the induction.
 
Just a quick update - my baby arrived naturally a few days later and my husband made it for the birth too. I had a very quick labour and birth, although this time I found the contractions just as painful as my induced birth (entonox gas didn't seem to work as well) and the pushing stage took more effort too (though probably because baby was much bigger and didn't engage until the last moments - all the nurses thought I might need a C-section because my belly was so big!).

starbucks2 - I hope everything goes well for you.
 
Congrats mumsy and thanks for the well wishes. Even though this is second time around, I am getting nervous now. 3.5 weeks to go. Hoping I am not in hospital on Christmas Day!

Hope you are settling in ok.

Best wishes
SB2
 

About this archive

This is an archive of over 20 years of GeoBaby and GeoSchools knowledge and discussions, kept online as a read-only reference.

Back
Top