waiting for school places

missmummy

New member
Hi all

We have recently moved to HK and are waiting for a place at our local ESF school. We did everything we could to move into the catchment and apply early (for a YR2 place) but are still on a the waitlist.

We have currently placed our child in a school/preschool waiting until the ESF place comes - but it is not really suitable and we're getting worried about the whole situation.

We were initially told our child was 2nd on the waitlist but it is now 4th (because of siblings who are coming in). I have heard that ESF may place a child in their school quicker if they know they are not in a school anywhere (ie home schooled) - should I consider taking my child out of school and play this card ?? Also, they think if the children applying are already at a school which consider 'good', i.e the other international schools they consider them lower priority in their list.

So, what other schools are our options out there ?? Where are all the kids on ESF waitlists for Y2 going to currently or are there any being home schooled ?

Also if any of you have moved here recently - how quickly did it take for a ESF place to become available (in Yrs 1, 2, 3). Or are there still many people waiting out there.

Just seeking info, help & advice really
 
Instead of preschools I would look at less popular schools with a suitable age level, especially for Year 2, schools like Delia School of Canda, Korean, AmIS, Harbour School. Over the summer you'll most likely have a spot. Which school are youwaiting for? Especially on the island you should see movement.
 
At my daughter's school only 2 Year 2 places have come up during the school year and only 3 Year 1 places (of which 2 very recently). Year 3 and 5 seems to be slightly better. Also if current ESF parents move to another catchment zone, they'll get priority to be placed at their new school as well.
 
My advice is to leave her where she is (sorry PPs). Don't put her into a school so she can then change again once a place comes up. We were in a similar situation and waited a year for an esf place. DD went to a kindy and did the K3 program - esf did not care if she was at a kindy or primary sch (we were waiting for a P1 spot), they simply didn't have places.

I spoke to the school who directed me to their website where they outline the things they are doing in class, books they are reading and so on. This was so i could keep her in line with the class even though she wasn't yet physically there. I was also going to hire a tutor to home school if a place didn't come up but it finally did.

Be patient, as a good friend said. 4 is very good and if it doesn't happen now it will by Sept! We went from 5 to an interview and place within a couple of months and I am glad I had my strategy and friends who kept me sane during the stress of it all! My DD loves esf and now loves going to school.

Good luck with it, it sounds like you are doing all the right things.
 
PP, I partly understand what you're saying but I think there is quite a difference between Y1 and Y2, and a 6 or almost 7 yo in a preschool is not ideal, but again, it depends on the preschool. Some have quite a few of 6 yo but the majority is 5 at most (at my twin's preschool the oldest ones are just turning 5 = early 2006-born). That's a big difference compared to Y2. I am definitely not saying op should change now, especially since the child is in a school already but in general I would prefer waiting in a setting that is age appropriate instead (and possibly of lesser quality/popularity) of a preschool. Most likely this child will have a place in September (which school is OP looking at?). My experience is that Y1 and Y2 places don't come by a lot during the year (see my earlier post) so I would prepare for September and definitely talk to the school to see what needs to be done in order to get ready for Y3. You simply can't expect that level of a preschool. I think quite a few kids (not Y1s) are most likely at less popular schools like Delia, KIS, Harbour, Woodlands P1/2 program at Aberdeen, etc. Yes, Y1s usually wait at preschools. But then again, if I move catchments my children will have priority over others who are already on the list, so even over summer, there are no guarantees. Plus there are places for Corporate Surety Scheme reserved as well (my oldest has 2 children at her year, from different catchment but with CSS). It must be stressful, definitely keep talking to the school.
 
Has the OP tried HK Academy? My friends couldn't get a place for the child in an ESF school so sent him to HKA instead. They liked it so much that even when they got to the top of the waitlist for their ESF school, they decided to stay on at HKA.
 
Agree with Portia try some of the other International schools. The class sizes are smaller and with ESF fees going up again next year along with the debenture there isn't going to be a big difference fee wise between ESF and other schools.

HTH
 
Hello everyone
Thanks for all your responses.
I am gonna take a look at the Korean school, Harbour & HKA in the next few weeks (although have heard HKA is selective and even if they have places there's no guarantee your child will be selected).
If i do move her it wouldn't be till April and then again I feel moving her around too often may not be the best thing for her. My big worry is come August she still doesn't have a place in our local choice ESF school.
We couldn't apply for the ESF corporate Surety scheme since we came to HK mid school year, but seems strange that there may be people coming to HK this august who would gain places before people who are already here on waitlists for ESF schools.
Oh well, I just have to try to put a happy face on in front of the kids, which is not easy ! ....as I seem to be boring myself (not to mention everyone around me !) about the whole schooling situation here in HK.
 
;10930 said:
Agree with Portia try some of the other International schools. The class sizes are smaller and with ESF fees going up again next year along with the debenture there isn't going to be a big difference fee wise between ESF and other schools.

HTH

ESF's capital levy is refundable when you leave. Most capital levies at other schools are not. But agree, definitely try other IS as well.
 

About this archive

This is an archive of over 20 years of GeoBaby and GeoSchools knowledge and discussions, kept online as a read-only reference.

Back
Top