Too late to apply?

cchan88

New member
My daughter is currently in K2, and we had only applied for 3 schools this year, but hasn't been successful with any of them. Should we wait until Sep to try our luck again or is the anything we can do right now? We are new to HK and havent quite got our head around with the schools competition. Any advise will be appreciated
 
How old is your daughter? K2 means different things to different schools so I wasn't sure.

It's never too late to apply, though your chances are pretty slim there will be any immediate openings. Still it's good to get on the wait list as soon as you can in the hopes there will be some movement through the school year. If you are on a wait list be sure to tell them "we'll be here--call us even if it is a few months from now".
 
Have you been waitlisted at any schools, or rejected. In case of the first you need to follow up on where you are. If rejected, you need to find out why and whether it makes sense to reapply. Also I would expand my first to some less popular schools (with shorter waitlists?) if not already done so.
 
I do believe school rejections are due to over subscriptions and that has nothing to do with your child's performance per say. And those schools generate a great amount of income with application fees. The only schools that didn't take my application fees were Kellett and Korean International School because of their over subscriptions.
 
I agree rejections and oversubscribing go hand in hand (as they can do plenty of sorting and find those students they think match their school best at that particular moment, agree that is highly debatable but that's the way they want to do it), but I do think you have a fairly small chance getting in after being rejected, hence my question.

I have plenty of friends who got waitlisted after passing interviews but schools not being able to offer a spot. To stay on the waiting list they have to pay the fee again for the following school year. My understanding is there are generally 3 options, accepted, waitlisted (passed interview but no space) or rejected (interviewed but didn't pass the interview).
 
That is true with the 3 options. I guess it is better to be wait listed and in the meantime find an alternative. My option is repeat if space is available. I do not mind my son repeating K3 for one more year, if the current school has a space for him. He is suppose to be in P2 for coming Sept., but no space available and wait listed. If no option left, tutoring and home schooling.
 
I know somebody who had a similar issue, and her child is going to Delia School of Canada, P2. Where are you located? Personally, I would rather go with a less popular school than repeating another year in Kindy (whatever class that is).
 
My daughter is currently in K2, and we had only applied for 3 schools this year, but hasn't been successful with any of them. Should we wait until Sep to try our luck again or is the anything we can do right now? We are new to HK and havent quite got our head around with the schools competition. Any advise will be appreciated

check out Island Christian Academy - Island Christian Academy | Generations Christian Education

wish you good luck
 

About this archive

This is an archive of over 20 years of GeoBaby and GeoSchools knowledge and discussions, kept online as a read-only reference.

Back
Top