No school for us, any suggestion for temporary situation in Hong Kong?

capricorn

Registered User
We applied 4 international schools in Hong Kong 6 months ago and we still live in overseas right now. They are HKIS, CDNIS, IFS, ESF. HKIS, CDNIS and IFS all confirmed that there won't be seats for us in this coming Fall. We are not in HK yet. Without a Hong Kong address, ESF will not give out seats for us and there is also a long waiting list. We are moving to Hong Kong in the end of July. I really don't know what to do if we have no school to go when we move there. Can someone give me any suggestion or advise? My children are going to Grade one and Grade two, speak both English and Mandarine. Please help.:(
 
have you tried Victoria Shanghai (Hong Kong side)..maybe American International School / Australian International School (both in Kowloon Tong) area might have a chance - if you are from the US or Australia there might (not 100%) some priority...you can always study there for a year and waitlist at other schools....
 
will they be too late to apply now? It is already May. I will check Victoria Shanghai, thanks. But my children's mandarine can not compete with Chinese children. They are taught and educated in an American credits school. Thanks a lot.
 
I think its still early. Lots of expat families leave HK for good during the summer. The schools probably haven't been informed of their departures, and hence no places have opened up. They should have a better idea in June.

Do you know whereabouts you're going to stay? Call the ESF school in that zone and let them know you're arriving in July. Is your 5 year old born in 2005 or 2004? If she's born in 2004, she will be going into P2 in ESF which maybe easier to get into than P1.

Don't give up hope. I've heard of many members getting a place a week or two before school starts.

Hang in there.
 
Last edited:
Thank you, Rani. That's a lot of encouraging words here. My 6 years old boy was born in 2004 and 7 years old boy was born in 2002. We want to stay in somewhere around Jardin's lookout or happy valley. Do you know if ESF campuses are easier to get in? HKIS and Canadian informed us that applications this year has extremely exceeded their available seats. Most of their current students have had paid to remain in schools. The chance for us to get in is not very optimistic. We are at 20 and 40 waiting list in CDNIS. It is very frustrating.
 
I think it will be easier to get into ESF. We haven't paid our deposits for next year at ESF yet.
 
I know ESF has many campuses. Do you know which campus has more possibility to get in? Bradbury school seems quite popular and has a long waiting list too.
 
i wouldn't worry about handing in a late application - many parents don't decide till June to pay / leave, and also you might be able to get a spot say in December and yes...miss 1 semester of classes - which in the long run is not too bad...
 

About this archive

This is an archive of over 20 years of GeoBaby and GeoSchools knowledge and discussions, kept online as a read-only reference.

Back
Top