Need some advice!!!!!

h2o

Registered User
Hi everyone,
I am 31 weeks pregnant with my second baby and yesterday our Dr. told us that my baby is almost 2kgs now.i.e overweight.baby should be around 1.5-1.7kgs.
anyway she asked me to cut down on my sugar and salt as baby will gain wt. rapidly in coming weeks.which is ok.
but along with that she asked us to consider having c-section.my first one was cesarean too due to some complication.This time i really wanted to go for natural but now i feel she is discouraging me.
she also said i might have some scars in the uterus if i choose to have natural which i did'nt understand.we have 2 weeks time to decide on it as according to her we have to make another booking for c-section.
your advice and experience has always helped.
i really hope this time too....
Thanks for reading and advising.
 
Those are only estimates and can be off by 10% on a good day. Also, size of the baby has little to do with ability to birth naturally, as it is mostly fat, and fat is squishy!

If you really want to go naturally, try.

I thought I wouldn't be able to go naturally, as I had broken my pelvis as a teenager ( I DID have an epidural, but that was my own choice) but I did. My baby was 3.5 kg (so just average) but I have read many, many accounts of those with larger babies delivering naturally jut fine.
 
Hi h2o,
My baby has been big on the scans since the beginning and I am currently 38.5 weeks pregnant. Doctor estimated his weight at 4.2kg last week and I am still hoping for natural delivery since the baby is perfectly positionned for it. I am not a big person to begin with - tall but rather underweight, and my doctor said vaginal birth (with epidural) shouldn't be too much of an issue.
So we decided to try to go naturally, even if it has to end in an emergency c-section...
Maybe you can also work out that type of deal with your doctor!
 
i don't have any experience similar to yours, but if i were you, I'd get a second opinion from a reputable ob-gyn. Since this is a medical issue, we can only tell you from our own experience. but everyone is different, and so is every case. we don't know how wide your pelvis is (does it really count? i don't know...), etc.

best to get a second professional opinion. good luck whatever you decide!
 
My cynical view is that the Dr is leading you to decide to have a c-section. I've just heard this way too many times.

I very carefully chose a different Dr for my 2nd as I wanted a normal birth after a c-section. Dr Dawkins was well known for his support of VBACs but he's no longer practising in HK. Not sure who to recommend now.
 
:gl:hi h2o,

i would suggest you to have open mind of about it. Definately you dont need to decide it now you are only 31 weeks still have at least 9 weeks to go, my doctor only tell me that i need a cs at the end of my 40 weeks which according to hk's medical practic that doctors normally will not allow the pregnancy go beyong 41 weeks. My reason for is that my pevics were still not opened by end of 40 weeks and baby was not droped at that time, so i was told by my doctor that even my pevics open in the fillowing week but there wasnt enough time for the baby to come down within his allowing time (41weeks). However, i was fine with the cs anyway. Anyway, i believe your doctor is trying to convince you to have cs, i think you shoud have an other opinions//

good luck.
 
Hi

My own experience was I gave birth to my 1st child naturally w/o epidural and she was 4.2kg. But I was very young then. I think you still have time to think about it and make the decision later.

I have to go for c-section this time becuase of complication and I am 33 weeks.
 
U/s can be out quite a bit on weight. I think whne I had mychildren I was told +/- 1 lb, but don't remember for sure. Then U/s tech should be able to tell you how much it can be out by. As far as cutting bask on salt and sugar, if sugar is going to make your baby is bigger it would only be because you are gestational diabetic, if that is a concern, your doctor could easily send you for a test to find out. Salt I think would make you retain water anf therfore you put on weight, not sure that that is going to make your baby bigger.

Not sure how you are going to scar more froma vag delivery that a c/s?!!! I have had an episiotomy and a 3rd degree tear, so I am sure I likely do have a scar but it is in a place even I don't look, which I'd much rather have than a scar on my abdomen.

A far as your previous delivery, it really depends on what the complication was, if it was something to do with having a small pelvis or a large baby, or shoulder distocia or some such problem related, then I can see that may be a concern, but if something unrelated, I would go for a second opinion.
 
I re-read your post, the scar was related to teh uterus. Well, you already have a scar in your uterus from your c/s. A vaginal delivery won't give you a scar, maybe she is thinking if the bay is really big it could rupture your old scar. I would get a second opinion for sure.
 

About this archive

This is an archive of over 20 years of GeoBaby and GeoSchools knowledge and discussions, kept online as a read-only reference.

Back
Top