My child is struggling at ESF year 6

Christinea

Registered User
Hello,

We've been in Hong Kong for a month now and all is going well except for my daughter's school work at Kennedy year 6. I felt at her entrance interview that she should have been in year 5 given her past education in the US and her August birthdate which puts her at the youngest in the class there. She had just only completed grade 3 there so this feels like she's skipping a year. The whole interview was rushed though as it took place after school started and they insisted that she should be in year 6 based on her reading test. My daughter told me afterwards though that she only got a small bit of the test correct.

Now, a few weeks into school her teacher informs me that she is way, way behind and will have a very difficult year. I can only imagine that she will not be ready for secondary school next year either! She suggests a lot of in school help, out of school tutoring and perhaps repeating year 6 at a non ESF school next year.

Unfortunately, she tells me that the hopes of moving her back a year to year 5 are not good as the classes are full. She's such a shy and sensitive kid that I know this year is going to be rough on her if she stays in year 6. I plan to talk to the school some more, but does anyone have any advice? Do they ever squeeze one more kid into a class or do spots open up mid -year?

Christine
 
Christine - Could you try talking to the principal or the assistant principal for that section?

Would also recommend talking to the PTA about this.

Finally, spots open up all the time as expats move in and out of town and you should atleast try and get your daughter wait listed on a priority for Year 5.
 
Christine,

I would also speak to the Deputy Principal and request them to put you on the top of the wait list for Y5. Spots do become available throughout the school year.

Why would they recommend that you repeat Y6 in a non-ESF school? That's a bit strange.
 
I think they mentioned repeating Y6 at a different school as I expressed doubts that she'd be ready for Y7 next year at either Island School (where my older kids go) or West Island School if she was struggling so much this year and had to remain in Y6 afterall. I was told there was a test that all Y6 kids take in the spring that was used in their application to secondary schools.

Thanks everyone for your advice in this.

Christine
 
If she does have to repeat Y6 she should be able to do it at Kennedy. I know of a couple kids who are a year behind their yearband.
 
So, before I could even make an appointment to talk with the assistant principal, I received a phone call from him telling me he had just come to the decision to move her down to Y5. I'm impressed that they responded so quickly and are concerned enough to do what's best for her. I'm relieved.

Christine
 

About this archive

This is an archive of over 20 years of GeoBaby and GeoSchools knowledge and discussions, kept online as a read-only reference.

Back
Top