Montessori or ESF for kindergarten??

baby09

Registered User
hi,

just got an offer for ESF kindie but also waiting to see we get an interview from IMS as that is on the top of my agenda but ESF only give me until 10th Feb to reply and pay the 2 months school fee! my daughter is already at Victoria so its not as if she has nowhere to go but our priority is to place her where she can learn in a bi lingual enviroment which is why IMS is my preferred school, unfortunately i am told the selection for interviews at IMS have only just started so no news until end of Feb earliest. Any thoughts???
 
Why don't you want to stay at Victoria? Have heard good things about the school and primary school is doing an impressive job implementing PYP.
 
ESF is not bilingual so if that's your priority, then ESF may not be for you. However, if you prefer to continue the IB, which I greatly prefer over Montessori (have done Montessori secondary education myself), then you may want to stay at Victoria if you want to focus on both languages ... (or shift to ESF but then English will be your main focus).
 
Esf is not bilingual so don't bother if that is not your priority. IMS is, so see what happens there. Honestly you have nothing to worry about, Victoria is already bilingual and if your daughter does not get into IMS it will not be a problem...ahe already is attending school, and one that is already very good. The difference is whether you believe the IB system is better for your daughter or the Montessori approach as both are bilingual (I am assuming cost is not an issue here as the tuition at IMS is much higher than at Victoria)
 
wow, thanks alot everyone for your inputs - yes i am told IMS is much higher than Victoria - not sure by how much. need to think all this through but its great to get so many replies in so short a time - thanks everyone!
 
I would have gone Montessori only we lived too far away. I think you need to consider the learning ability and style of your child as both options have a very similar approach -- IMS caters for both IB and other international systems whereas ESF is only IB.

Where to for your child after primary? If it is to an IB school then either works - if not then IMS may be the way...
 
thanks. yes i think IMS is more flexible plus its only down the road from where we live - just waiting for an interview now!
 
I hope you got the result you were hoping for from the schools! We pulled out of IMS process after hearing 2 friends deciding to move from IMS after 1 - 2 years of their kids going there. Apparently it's extremely expensive for what it offers, and the school is run more like a business and less of a caring community. ESF, ISF and Canadian are much preferred.
 
Most parents send their kids to IMS for the casa program (k1-k3), so it's not surprising that kids get pulled out after a year or two. That is not a negative reflection on the school. A lot of IMS parents that I know are extremely happy with the casa program.

IMS is pricey but it is comparable to Woodland and Tutor Time.
 
My son is currently in Woodland Montessori (Caine Road) and is accepted by IMS, would appreciate any comments on which school is better. We are quite happy with Woodland.
 

About this archive

This is an archive of over 20 years of GeoBaby and GeoSchools knowledge and discussions, kept online as a read-only reference.

Back
Top