Hi Viv, just saw your other post, I see that your kid doesn't speak any Mandarin. KCIS gives priority to expats and we all know that expats come and go at any time, I am sure they can tell you what could happen in your case. For Y3, they will be using Y2 Chinese material from local stream, maybe you can hire a private tutor to help your kid to catch up at the beginning? Like I said earlier, call them immediately, they start interviewing very soon. Ask them how many spots available now at Y3 and where will you be on the waiting list if you send in/fax/email application right away. Don't wait. Once the spots are taken, it doesn't matter anymore you have priority or not.
GSIS is so, so, hard to get in. My son went for the P1 interview, there were only 12 spots available for grab. For Y3, your kid would need to sit in for a written test if there is any space available. Unless you are going for the German stream, otherwise, chance is not high. Plus, they already started interview back in Jan., if you haven't received an interview invitation yet, you are a little late in the game.
Just remember, you can also switch school next year. It is not that far away that 2012/2013 application will start soon. Just call around and see which school tells you if you apply now, you still will stand a good chance. There is also The Harbour School in Kennedy Town, IMS new campus in Tin Hau. I think the most important thing is there is a place for your kid when you arrive. Deciding where to live will affect your decision for school too. AIS is in Kowloon, Delia of Canada is in Taikoo, Korean International School is in Chai Wan.. You certainly don't want your kid to sit in the school bus too long so you need to narrow down where you want to live, H.K. island? Kowloon? Pokfulam? I think the Habour School, AIS and Delia of Canada are easier to get in, like you said, you are just looking for a backup plan. Just make sure you kid has a school to go to so I were you, I would start calling up schools and see if you can schedule some interviews if possible. You may have to fly over for an interview, don't know if any of these schools is so accommodating to wait until you arrive in the summer. We had to move up our move because one school wouldn't postpone the interview, not even by few days. Do whatever you have to do, like you said, the most difficult part of the move is to find a school. Hopfully ESF CSS works for you, I heard some locations even close the CSS due to how oversubscripted this year.