Experience of Matilda waiting list - apparently i'm no 12!

hkm2, i just got off the matilda waiting list at 31 weeks. although i am not 100% certain, i think there is a small list of doctors (resident at matilda), who usually get all their patients off the waitlist. did you have to pay a deposit at adventist? while waiting for matilda, i got a booking at qmh.
 
Tartan - congrats for getting your confirmation. You are so lucky!

newhkmommy - thanks so much for sharing that your confirmation didn't come until 31 weeks. makes me feel a bit better to know. i am with Dr. Grace Cheung and she is a resident doctor at Matilda, so there still is hope for me.

i found out today that i am no longer on Matilda's "deferred" list but have now been officially "declined". I have the weekend to decide if I pay the deposit at Adventist (with my decidedly second choice OB) or wait and take my chances with Matilda (and book a back-up slot at qmh as suggested). sigh!
 
Hi HKM2, I had a friend who's also with Dr Grace Cheung and she was confirmed at around 6 months.... I think she should definitely be able to get you in but you might just have to wait a while
p.s. I was on the 'declined' list from the beginning and not on the 'deferred' list - not sure what the difference is?
 
i'm pretty sure dr. grace cheung also delivers and adventist on occasion. if that's the case, you shouldn't have to switch doctors.
 
Evgreen - I already had Dr. Cheung's office check Adventist and have been declined.

Tartan - thanks for the words of reassurance. The more I hear, it seems that if you can't get an immediate booking, late confirmations seem to be not uncommon (assuming you are with one of Matilda's resident doctors). It doesn't make it less stressful, but at least it puts things into perspective. I guess I just have to be patient and try not to let it bother me! sigh!

I have decided to forego Adventist booking (with my non-preferred OB) and am holding out for Matilda. I hope I have made the right choice. Thanks again for sharing.
 
HKM2 - I am in the same boat (2 days apart on due date). Everyone is telling me to wait for Matilda. And, like you, have conflicting OB situations. My first OB is keen on Adventist and discouraged my Matilda booking. I have a place at Adventist but have to pay the $20K deposit within 2 weeks. Not so keen on the OB and want to try another who delivers primarily at Matilda but can also do Adventist. I'm going to wait for now even if it means my Adventist place lapses. Nothing against Adventist - just really keen on the Matilda 'experience'. Will also be interrogating the new OB to see if she can do anything to help with the waiting list situation. Kepp you posted.

I'm due October 22 and am on the "deferred waiting list" at Matilda (applied late at 8 weeks with my first OB). As a back-up I saw another doctor recently and because they sent in my information a few weeks ago, was told I have a booking at Adventist.

I definitely prefer my first OB (who only delivers at Matilda), but am thinking it would be foolish to pass up an offer to book at Adventist (though I understand there is no 100% guarantee of getting in even with a confirmed booking, not to mention I like my second OB considerably less than the first). What to do?
 
Just as an update, I called yesterday to check where I am on the list - No. 17!! And they have 10 people currently outstanding with their deposit payment so seems like chances must be slim! Kicking myself for not getting around to booking until 10 weeks.

HKM2 - if you booked at 8 weeks, at least you'll be higher up than me! Best of luck!
 
clearwaterbaby - Thanks so much for sharing the update. I am hopeful that we will both still get in. I met with my doctor recently and she was very reassuring. I'm fairly confident that resident doctors can get their patients in. In fact, I was told that the number of patients on my doctor's October 2010 waiting list was greater than this year, yet they managed to get all those ladies in!

I am prepared to make a back-up booking at Queen Mary, at the later stages, if I get nervous close to my due date. But, I'm waiting and hoping for the best for now. Good luck to us both!
 
I JUST found out I'm pregnant! and booked an OB/GYN tomorrow for an appointment. Just reading through the posts, how do you actually "go with" one OB vs another? Do you just see another for exactly the same check-up and decide between the two? isn't it awkward to tell your 1st OB/Gyn that you don't want to go with them? Sorry if these seem like silly questions, but since my appt is tomorrow, I don't know if I'm expected to "sign up" with this Dr, or whether is okay to "shop around"?

Another reason I'm asking is related to the original poster re Matilda hospital, since I'm keen to give birth there, is it wise to find one of their resident doctors first up instead of being on the waiting list and then being rejected because my OB/GYN wasn't one of their priority doctors?

Thanks so much for any replies!
 
@zzsp
You can tell your OB you are still deciding on which dr to use, or you don't have to say anything. I went to three OB and yes do the same check, ask the same questions etc then decide. You don't have to tell the ones you didn't choose, just don't make a follow up appointment. Honestly they all have lots of patients they won't care. You should ask them about hospital booking and see what they say.
Posted via Mobile Device
 

About this archive

This is an archive of over 20 years of GeoBaby and GeoSchools knowledge and discussions, kept online as a read-only reference.

Back
Top