Not sure I follow the epidural v c-section question. Is your OB suggesting that if you think you might want an epidural you should just have a c-section instead? If so, I agree that this is rubbish!
One thing that I would be wary of with the epidural is topping up too soon. With my first (2nd due in Oct), the nurse/midwife told me that once I started to feel pain again I could get a top up, so I did. When the OB came to check up on why he hadn't been called back in (was expecting me to progress faster), it turned out that my contractions has slowed waaay down b/c my body relaxed so much. He explained that this is when you can run the risk of needing an emergency c-section, as my water had broken many hours before. This didn't stop the nurse (at Matilda) from offering me yet another top up a couple of hours later when my contractions had come back full force and I was definitely feeling it. I declined and delivered not long after.
All told, it was @12-13 hrs of labor, which isn't bad and several of which weren't painful at all. The actual delivery was painful but pretty quick. This time, I am going to hold out as long as I can before having the epidural and not take a top up.
I had some natural tearing which hurt during delivery but with the pain meds after, it healed without my even noticing it. Was too preoccupied with the struggles of breastfeeding!
I think you really need to be able to trust your OB on this one. I thought I was big on natural tearing only but OB explained that if the tear is going to be really bad, an episiotomy can help make it more uniform and ease recovery. What kind of tearing you are having is, of course, a mid-delivery judgement call. They will try to get you to stop pushing so the skin can stretch naturally, but this can be hard to do too! My tearing turned out to be natural only but had the OB said that he felt an episiotomy had been necessary, I would have trusted that this was he right medical decision.
One thing that I would be wary of with the epidural is topping up too soon. With my first (2nd due in Oct), the nurse/midwife told me that once I started to feel pain again I could get a top up, so I did. When the OB came to check up on why he hadn't been called back in (was expecting me to progress faster), it turned out that my contractions has slowed waaay down b/c my body relaxed so much. He explained that this is when you can run the risk of needing an emergency c-section, as my water had broken many hours before. This didn't stop the nurse (at Matilda) from offering me yet another top up a couple of hours later when my contractions had come back full force and I was definitely feeling it. I declined and delivered not long after.
All told, it was @12-13 hrs of labor, which isn't bad and several of which weren't painful at all. The actual delivery was painful but pretty quick. This time, I am going to hold out as long as I can before having the epidural and not take a top up.
I had some natural tearing which hurt during delivery but with the pain meds after, it healed without my even noticing it. Was too preoccupied with the struggles of breastfeeding!
I think you really need to be able to trust your OB on this one. I thought I was big on natural tearing only but OB explained that if the tear is going to be really bad, an episiotomy can help make it more uniform and ease recovery. What kind of tearing you are having is, of course, a mid-delivery judgement call. They will try to get you to stop pushing so the skin can stretch naturally, but this can be hard to do too! My tearing turned out to be natural only but had the OB said that he felt an episiotomy had been necessary, I would have trusted that this was he right medical decision.