Dear all,
I am a Malaysia Chinese married to an American husband and we lives in the US. My family lives in HK and I can speak fluent Cantonese, Mandarin, English and some other Chinese dialect. I have been planning to divorce my hubby since mid 2011. I have a 5 years old girl (Feb 2007 birthday) and I have plans to bring her back to HK after divorce. So I started to apply for international schools in 2011. My hubby does not want to divorce and objected me to bring my girl out of the US. We have been going through rounds of negotiation and counselling and dont have any agreement. Because of this, I never bring my girl back for any interview....I am losing patience on this whole process (we never go to the court as we agree not to spend money on this and hope to reach an agreement ourselves), so I called the international schools we applied and see if there is still chance for interview. We only applied CIS, CNDIS, Yew Chung, KCIS and Norwegian. What I found out was no hope and no interview for CIS and CNDIS. No reply at all from KCIS. We scheduled an interview with YC in Aug and got accepted by Norwegian after a phone interview. I paid over HK$14K for reserving a seat in Norwegian.
Now my questions are:
1. I like Norwegian as a small christian school and the campus is very much like the schools my girl is going to in the US so there may be less adjustment issue. I also think this may be a good back up in case we dont get anything. Can anyone tell me more information about the level of academic and chinese taught in this school?? Should I NOT expect my girl to be able to communicate in Mandarin on a day to day basis, nor read and write Chinese?? They are using IPC, how does it different from IB??
2. Is it really everyone is going after IB?? How good is the IB system compare with other curriculum?? There are very limited IB schools in the US but the US education is proven to produce many good students
3. We still dont have any agreement on divorce. If I bring my girl back to HK this Aug, at least I know she has a school to go to. If I wait later until we work out something, it may be 6 or 12 months later (we agreed on the deadline for results on counselling). Then our chance of getting a place in international school is close to 0% because no school is going to hold the seat so long??
4. Is it easier to get a place in Int school in P1 than P2?? If we come back next school year, she will be in P2. I am not sure if we even will have a chance of getting anything as normally not many people leave the school after 1 year??? Please advice
5. What if we come back after 6 months around Christmas time? Our chance is close to 0% too??
6. I really wish my girl can learn good Chinese and know Chinese culture and environment and be familiar with the Asia region. If we cant come back this Aug, I may also miss the last 6 months window before she turn 6 for better language learning?? (Many people said kids learn language the best before they turn 6 years old....is this true?? That one year really make so much difference??....
7. I will have much higher chance to bring her back after 6-12 months. So I am really concern about not having any school for her after waiting that long, at the same time,
I will take the risk of taking my girl back to HK without approval from my hubby if I decide to come back this Aug. Although I bet my hubby wont put me to the court but I still have no idea what will happen to us if I do so. Anyone has similar experience??
sorry for this long list of question but I am really very frustrated to get stuck between my divorce and my girl's education....please help!!.....
I am a Malaysia Chinese married to an American husband and we lives in the US. My family lives in HK and I can speak fluent Cantonese, Mandarin, English and some other Chinese dialect. I have been planning to divorce my hubby since mid 2011. I have a 5 years old girl (Feb 2007 birthday) and I have plans to bring her back to HK after divorce. So I started to apply for international schools in 2011. My hubby does not want to divorce and objected me to bring my girl out of the US. We have been going through rounds of negotiation and counselling and dont have any agreement. Because of this, I never bring my girl back for any interview....I am losing patience on this whole process (we never go to the court as we agree not to spend money on this and hope to reach an agreement ourselves), so I called the international schools we applied and see if there is still chance for interview. We only applied CIS, CNDIS, Yew Chung, KCIS and Norwegian. What I found out was no hope and no interview for CIS and CNDIS. No reply at all from KCIS. We scheduled an interview with YC in Aug and got accepted by Norwegian after a phone interview. I paid over HK$14K for reserving a seat in Norwegian.
Now my questions are:
1. I like Norwegian as a small christian school and the campus is very much like the schools my girl is going to in the US so there may be less adjustment issue. I also think this may be a good back up in case we dont get anything. Can anyone tell me more information about the level of academic and chinese taught in this school?? Should I NOT expect my girl to be able to communicate in Mandarin on a day to day basis, nor read and write Chinese?? They are using IPC, how does it different from IB??
2. Is it really everyone is going after IB?? How good is the IB system compare with other curriculum?? There are very limited IB schools in the US but the US education is proven to produce many good students
3. We still dont have any agreement on divorce. If I bring my girl back to HK this Aug, at least I know she has a school to go to. If I wait later until we work out something, it may be 6 or 12 months later (we agreed on the deadline for results on counselling). Then our chance of getting a place in international school is close to 0% because no school is going to hold the seat so long??
4. Is it easier to get a place in Int school in P1 than P2?? If we come back next school year, she will be in P2. I am not sure if we even will have a chance of getting anything as normally not many people leave the school after 1 year??? Please advice
5. What if we come back after 6 months around Christmas time? Our chance is close to 0% too??
6. I really wish my girl can learn good Chinese and know Chinese culture and environment and be familiar with the Asia region. If we cant come back this Aug, I may also miss the last 6 months window before she turn 6 for better language learning?? (Many people said kids learn language the best before they turn 6 years old....is this true?? That one year really make so much difference??....
7. I will have much higher chance to bring her back after 6-12 months. So I am really concern about not having any school for her after waiting that long, at the same time,
I will take the risk of taking my girl back to HK without approval from my hubby if I decide to come back this Aug. Although I bet my hubby wont put me to the court but I still have no idea what will happen to us if I do so. Anyone has similar experience??
sorry for this long list of question but I am really very frustrated to get stuck between my divorce and my girl's education....please help!!.....