Amniocentesis & risks

Which doc are you going to? I was so impressed with Dr Patrick Chan in my situation - I had a risk of 1 in 7 but didn't feel pressured either way. We decided to do the amnio and we were there for the appointment - but when he did the pre-amnio scan, he noticed the other issues that implied it may not be Downs or anything like that - and he immediately said he recommended NOT getting the amnio done until we get those issues looked at by a specialist. He could have just done it and got the extra $$ since we were there anyway - but I really felt like the health of our baby was his primary concern - and he was very open and honest about everything. He's such a great doctor in my opinion...
 
I had it done with my 2nd (am 6 months pregnant) and was torn between it. My 12 week scan showed I was a bit higher risk for Down's for my age (but still considered very low). My OB in singapore was basically against it and said there was of course a risk of miscarriage. My ob in the States said, "why won't you have it done if you are at all concerned?" I was losing sleep over it too and it was completely stressing me out. I think you have to ask yourself: what if my baby has Down's? What will I do? That should help dictate your decision.

I had it down at 18 weeks and I would not change anything. I am so glad I did it because after getting the results backed I felt I could celebrate my pregnancy and relax. My OB in the states assured me that the risk for miscarriage was very small. Just make sure you get someone who is very good and who does it daily.
 

About this archive

This is an archive of over 20 years of GeoBaby and GeoSchools knowledge and discussions, kept online as a read-only reference.

Back
Top