IMS

BritOzMum

New member
We're been offered a place at IMS for the Casa class for 2013-14. My son would do one year at Casa and then transfer to lower primary.
Unfortunatly we've been offered a place at south horizons which is the only campus which really doesn't work for us.
IMS have advised us that we can go on the waitlist for a place at Mid Levels and Tin Hau and that if we purchase the corporate 200k debenture we'll go on the priority wait list. What they wont advise is the likelihood of getting a place if we pay the corporate debenture. We feel that this is an expensive risk to take and are trying to work out what to do!
Anyone else had experience of this? Can pass on any insight?
 
Hi BritOzMum,

Congratulations on receiving an offer from IMS!

We're in the same situation last year, with preference for Tin Hau campus (living in nearby Happy Valley at the time) but received an offer to join the Mid-Levels instead. I called-up the school and was told that there were 20 kids with the preferential 200k debenture ahead of us already and chances were small even if we bought one. At the end we decided to take the offer in Mid-Level and move to a furnished place nearby the campus for a year for following reasons:

- to avoid the long school day for the little one.
- to avoid moving campus mid-year, which maybe disruptive for my son. he had just moved country, then from Woodlands to IMS. we thought another move within the same year may not be the best for him.

My son is moving to Tin Hau for primary this year, so we'd be looking to move again into another apartment in Tin Hau/Happy Valley in summer.

I'd suggest calling-up the school to find out how many kids with the priority debenture is seeking a move to Tin Hau campus at the moment, then make a decision based on that. I'd suggest limiting your preference to only Tin Hau if you decide to do this, as I won't suggest moving from South Horizon to Mid-Levels, and then again to Tin Hau next year.

As for other parents, I know only of one who paid the 200k. The family lives in North Point, so it's almost an-hour journey by school bus each way. They still had not secure the spot in Tin Hau campus after almost a year and now drop and pick-up their child by private car.

You'd still need to pay for 75k debenture for an entry with no priority, so the option for priority is really an additional 125k loan to the school, which is not too bad compared to what other Int'l Schools charge, but of course it's better to have that money in your pocket.

Other think that you may consider is to live somewhere in between South Horizon and Tin Hau, like Happy Valley. The journey from HV to SH should not be too bad via Aberdeen tunnel, against the traffic.

Hope this helps :)
 
Hi there Britozmum, when I called to discuss applying to be wait listed at IMS they seemed quite positive about applying for a space at the Stanley campus, was this mentioned as an option for you? I'm just trying to arrange flying out for interviews w/c 13 May .. Well done on being offered a place. It must be a great relief.
 
KristaJ,
I have a place at Woodlands Tai Tam as my backup for my 5 year old son. Did your child attend the interim class - What were your thoughts on the class? I'm really concerned it will hold my son back from not starting at a 'proper' school with his year group.
 
Hi Tomthepom,

Noticed that you're from Sydney and Balmain too! Very small world :)

My son attended Woodlands in Happy Valley and loved it. The school ground is a bit small, well...very small compared to schools in Oz...but his teachers were very good and we're very happy with everything about the school.

My son attended the school from 4+yo until 5yo and a bit, so he's with his year group there, before continuing with IMS with same age kids. I think Woodland is a good school back-up, good teachers & reputation, as well as not too hard to get into. Woodlands Aberdeen and another one (either Tai Tam or Repulse Bay - I can't remember on top of my head at the moment) offers primary 1 & 2 classes. If you're planning to live around Tai Tam area, it maybe worthwhile to place your son in the centre that also offers primary classes. This way he'd be with his age group and automatically has a back-up for primary until acceptance at other International School. Tai Tam and Repulse Bay are not too far from each other.

Other school that offers upto P2 is PIPS in Parkview, at the other side of Tai Tam Country Park.

Hope this helps.
 
Thanks for your comments everyone.
With a heavy heart we've turned down the IMS place. We're trying to get a balance between the right school choice for our son, husbands commute & family life. In the end the lack of guarantee of a place at mid levels or tin hau meant we couldn't accept the place.
We're still holding the place at Harbour School we first got offered but we will accept & send our son to Island Christian Academy which we also recently were offered.
(We're also turning down a place at KIS)
Happy with our decision on all fronts and excited for him to start at ICA in Aug.
The whole school application experience has been better then I thought. From only applying in Jan to 4 offers is a much better position then I though we would be in.
 
If we were happy to live on south side the new Stanley campus for IMS would be fantastic. Really liked Stanley as well, almost had a Balmain feel to it!
Perhaps we should start up a Balmain mothers group in HK!
 
Hi BritOzMum,

Good to hear that you found a school that is suitable for your child and family situations. That's about the hardest part with the move to HK! :) ICA is a good school.

We do like Stanley too. It has such a laid back atmosphere, which is rare in HK. Just can't bear to have DH travelling on the long winding road everyday to work. I wish there is a ferry option between Stanley and Central, then it'd be perfect! Haha...maybe we should start the Balmain mom group! :)
 

About this archive

This is an archive of over 20 years of GeoBaby and GeoSchools knowledge and discussions, kept online as a read-only reference.

Back
Top