Concerned about getting into school!

MelindaJH

New member
Hi there! My hubby has been offered a job in HK,starting in Jan/Feb and whilst we are very keen to make the move we're doing our research first... My daughters were born in 2004 & 2001 - in Sept they will start Yr1 and Yr3 in UK school system. My questions are as follows:

What do people do with their kids until they get places in school?

We thought we'd live in DB, but from what I've read on the forums we'd be unlikely to get the girls into school anywhere near there, so should we be considering living somewhere else? If so, where?

Also, just for clarity - would they be going to Year 2 and Year 4 in HK?

And as applications for some ESF schools open 1st Sept, should we be undertaking them even though we won't need places until Jan/Feb?

Are there any Australian schools? Or schools where Aussies congregate, so to speak? (We are Aussies currently living in the UK.)

Thanks for any and all advice!
 
You would have to contact ESF schools in the catchment area you plan on living and go on a school by school basis. 2004 born children (like my oldest) are Year 1 starting this September, so your 2001 born would be a Year 4 starting this September. It goes by calender year, not a 1 Sept / Oct cut off like in some (most?) countries. AIS is located in Kowloon. Most people who come throughout the year, just start calling and talking to schools and look at possibilities. Year 1 at ESF is expected to be full at most schools but people come and go but I would act quickly ...
 
Check out ESF's Corporate surety scheme (you hubby's company will have to sponser you) - the sooner you apply, the better chance of getting into a preferred ESF school. I live in DB and my son was offered a Yr2 (born2003) place at Kennedy ESF on HK island in Sept (we've been here since May and the HK school situation is less than ideal!) That said, there are many kids who commute on the ferry every day - you just have to plan a little better! Australian school is over on Kowloon side (I think). feel free to pm me if you have any more questions. also, check out these threads which may be of interest;
http://www.geokids.hk/forum/thread739.html
 
Thanks for those replies! My one question still remains... what do you do with your kids until they get a school place? If that takes months... Or do you have to send them wherever you can get a place, regardless of where it is?!

This is our one sticking point about going to HK, are we over-concerned??? We know that so many people go through this, so it must workout in the end, right?

Thanks again!
 
Another member, had 2 children (different ages), one was accepted at Kennedy ESF and the other was wait listed. She had to wait 3 weeks and a place became available for her second child. During that time, the school gave the Mom the coursework for her to do at home with her daughter, so she wouldn't fall behind. If your child is in HK and not in school, the school will do their best to find a place for you. It does work out in the end.
 
In April of this year, I was in HK with my husband, as his company were looking at re-locating us and the 3 kids for 2 yrs.

DB was the place for us. We we got in touch with DBIS, had a good look around and were very impressed with everything we saw and heard.

Our eldest son (will be in Yr5, UK) could have a place for the new term in August 09. However, our middle son (will be in Yr 2), would be put on the wait list. At the time his was number 5.

DBIS got in touch with us in July to say both the boys would have a place from August 09.

It turns out we won't be off to HK. My husbands company said budget would become an issue. I'm now getting used to the idea we won't be off to HK for 2 yrs. We were all so geared up for going and having a different life. Just not meant to be.

So I totally understand where you are coming from as I was so concerend about places for schools. I think we must have been very lucky to get these places at DBIS. Everyone we spoke to said school places were like gold dust.

We also popped along to ESF on DB and their wait list was massive.

Have you been in touch with DBIS regarding places? I know some staff were in over the summer break.

My husband will be working in HK for the month of September and I will be with him for a week, so at least I get a chance to get back again. So it's not all bad...

I do wish you every success with your re-location and I'm sure something will work out in the end.
 
Thanks Sam
I hadn't known about DBIS but have now seen their website and it does look good.
I am in a similar position to yourself a while ago in that we don't yet know 100% if we're going - the company will confirm (or not!) by end of Sept, so in the meantime I'm trying to make sure we have some clue! It may come to nothing - but we have our fingers crossed...
 

About this archive

This is an archive of over 20 years of GeoBaby and GeoSchools knowledge and discussions, kept online as a read-only reference.

Back
Top