HELP! Matilda and Adventist fully booked?!

nikkig

Registered User
Hi there

Just wondered if there was anyone out there experiencing the same as me!
I arrived in HK 3 months ago at 16 weeks pregnant and was told by my dr they would book me into the Matilda and Adventist right away - they told me they would both refuse as they would say they were full but I would get a place in the end and they had never had anyone not get in - so not to worry!
I am now 28 weeks and still no place at either hospital and finding the whole situation a bit un-nerving!!
Has anyone out there been in this position? How many weeks were you when you found out you had a place? Anyone out there that did not get a place and what happened?
Any comments greatly appreciated!!

Nikki g
 
I had my babies 4-months ago and never had a booking at all - both Matilda and Adventist were always full when we tried.

But on the day, it was fine and I had my babies at the Adventist. I don't know anyone who has been turned away.

I was worried during my pregnancy also (am sure if you do a search you will see my posts), but with hindsight, I would say don't worry.

Hope this helps.
K
 
Hi, I was in the exact same position and it worked out fine. I was waitlisted at Maltilda and was very worried I wouldn't get in. On the 1st of the month you are due, Matilda are able to tell the Dr if there is space for you. Sure enough, I got mine confirmed on 1st Aug and delivered on 19 Aug. Seemingly it has a lot to do with your Dr - if they regularly deliver there.
 
i'm going to rain on the parade. i'm booked at Adventist for Dec and people have been turned away these few weeks. my friend got turned away (even with prior booking) and went to sanatorium (with prior backup booking), she heard other patients of her doctors without backups ended up at gov. hospitals. i called adventist they say they can't even guarantee a room even if i had a scheduled c-section. mostly likely would be ok they say, but have to wait till the day to know.

all i'm saying is, be prepared to be 'hospital hopping'....
 
Hi There. In same situation. Due in May and nothing available at Adventis, Sanitorium or Canossa. Really don't know what to do. I find it ridiculous.
Had a friend who was turned away at Adventis while in labour a few months back, despite being registered. They had to call and eventually found space at Sanitorium.
Any help and advice would be appreciated.
 
I don't really understand this. If you do have a booking is it for a certain day? Do you then have to be induced just to have your baby on your booked day at the hospital of your choice? How can you possibly book a delivery when most babies come in a 2 week window?
 
for booked days, i think we are referring to induced labour (babies who are late already)... or scheduled c-section. don't think we are referring to natural delivery for particular booked dates.
i was told to go pay the deposit at adventist now to 'confirm my spot', office hours only.. this is getting so ridiculous
 
Here's what I heard from my dr. Each hospital takes a certain number of registrations for each month. Once the quota is full, they will tell you they are "fully booked". But since they can't control which day the natural-birth registered moms will be delivering, they can't "book" you for a certain day or period of that month. It will all depend on whether your delivery coincides with many of the other registered moms. If their beds are already filled, there's nothing they can do. On the other hand if you happen to come in during a period when others aren't delivering, they'll take you in of course. So there's an element of chance for natural deliveries.

For elective c-sections, drs who regularly deliver at those hospitals have some priority in making the booking a month or more ahead (since they can determine the exact dates of your hospital stay). Thus, the hospital will hold those beds for the scheduled c-section ahead of the natural delivering moms (since the hospitals also make more money from the c-section patients.) In the case of the adventist, i heard from my dr. that they were sol aggressive in taking bookings (lots of mainland moms?) that even scheduled c-sections are not always guaranteed a room - hence the turnaway.
 

About this archive

This is an archive of over 20 years of GeoBaby and GeoSchools knowledge and discussions, kept online as a read-only reference.

Back
Top